Email messages containing the different treatments will be sent to the ~17,500 users who have registered an account on the internal innovation platform. The emails will be personalized and set up so as to track, by user ID, who opened them and who clicked on embedded links (to the innovation platform).
Data management rules have been set up to drop certain user groups from the list before the randomization:
- duplicate accounts (the ones with the lower ID# are dropped as lower ID#s indicate older accounts),
- users with InnoCentive domains
- users who are part of the [email protected]
/CoECI team (list was provided by field partner)
- users without name fields, lacking name and center affiliation information
- users who are identified as interns (as these are transitory accounts}
A stratified randomization procedure will be used, blocking on (1) prior platform engagement and (2) employment type (civil servant or contractor).
Emails will all be sent out at the same time. Engagement with the emails (opening, click-through) will be considered as an outcome metric.
The treatments were designed jointly with the field partner, to accommodate both practical and theoretical interests. The wording of the mission treatment was taken from NASA's most recent Strategic Plan and was designed so as to mimic how mission is used as an incentive within the organization.
The analysis will also consider whether there are differential treatment effects by center affiliation or gender.
Note: the initial roll-out date had to be postponed as it coincided with Hurricane Harvey.