x

We are happy to announce that all trial registrations will now be issued DOIs (digital object identifiers). For more information, see here.
Effect of Manager Race on Worker Effort and Attitudes
Last registered on November 12, 2019

Pre-Trial

Trial Information
General Information
Title
Effect of Manager Race on Worker Effort and Attitudes
RCT ID
AEARCTR-0004225
Initial registration date
May 20, 2019
Last updated
November 12, 2019 10:15 AM EST
Location(s)

This section is unavailable to the public. Use the button below to request access to this information.

Request Information
Primary Investigator
Affiliation
Middlebury College
Other Primary Investigator(s)
Additional Trial Information
Status
In development
Start date
2019-05-15
End date
2019-12-31
Secondary IDs
Abstract
This study looks at the effect of management race and feedback of managers on worker effort and attitudes through an experiment conducted on MTurk.
External Link(s)
Registration Citation
Citation
Abel, Martin. 2019. "Effect of Manager Race on Worker Effort and Attitudes." AEA RCT Registry. November 12. https://doi.org/10.1257/rct.4225-1.2.
Former Citation
Abel, Martin. 2019. "Effect of Manager Race on Worker Effort and Attitudes." AEA RCT Registry. November 12. https://www.socialscienceregistry.org/trials/4225/history/56769.
Experimental Details
Interventions
Intervention(s)
Intervention Start Date
2019-05-15
Intervention End Date
2019-12-31
Primary Outcomes
Primary Outcomes (end points)
Measures of effort / productivity: details provided in pre-analysis plan.
Measures of attitude: details provided in pre-analysis plan.
Primary Outcomes (explanation)
Details provided in pre-analysis plan.
Secondary Outcomes
Secondary Outcomes (end points)
Secondary Outcomes (explanation)
Experimental Design
Experimental Design
In this randomized control trial, we have two main stages of randomization through a factorial design: half of workers are assigned a black manager, half a white manager. We then provide 60% of each group with performance feedback. The other 40% does not receive any feedback and will thus serve as the control group for the feedback treatment.
Experimental Design Details
Not available
Randomization Method
Randomization is done through the survey software Qualtrics.
Randomization Unit
Individual worker on MTurk.
Was the treatment clustered?
No
Experiment Characteristics
Sample size: planned number of clusters
3400
Sample size: planned number of observations
3400
Sample size (or number of clusters) by treatment arms
1700 white manager, 1700 black manager. Each category (matched, unmatched, average matched) has approx 1100 observations.
For each black and white managers, 60% receive feedback on performance.

Addendum (Oct 10). For the replication exercise (discussed above), we increase the sample to 2700.
Addendum (Nov 12). As we are testing robustness using additional names (discussed above), we increase the sample to 3400.
Minimum detectable effect size for main outcomes (accounting for sample design and clustering)
IRB
INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARDS (IRBs)
IRB Name
Middlebury College IRB
IRB Approval Date
2019-05-03
IRB Approval Number
18115
Analysis Plan

There are documents in this trial unavailable to the public. Use the button below to request access to this information.

Request Information