x

NEW UPDATE: Completed trials may now upload and register supplementary documents (e.g. null results reports, populated pre-analysis plans, or post-trial results reports) in the Post Trial section under Reports, Papers, & Other Materials.
Building Evidence on Employment Strategies for Low-Income Families (BEES): ARC (KY)
Last registered on July 17, 2020

Pre-Trial

Trial Information
General Information
Title
Building Evidence on Employment Strategies for Low-Income Families (BEES): ARC (KY)
RCT ID
AEARCTR-0006163
Initial registration date
July 16, 2020
Last updated
July 17, 2020 9:44 AM EDT
Location(s)

This section is unavailable to the public. Use the button below to request access to this information.

Request Information
Primary Investigator
Affiliation
Other Primary Investigator(s)
PI Affiliation
Additional Trial Information
Status
On going
Start date
2020-03-11
End date
2024-06-30
Secondary IDs
Abstract
MDRC, in partnership with MEF Associates and Abt Associates, is conducting an evaluation of Addiction Recovery Care (ARC), as part of broader study called Building Evidence on Employment Strategies (BEES). BEES is funded by Office of Planning, Research, and Evaluation within the Administration for Children and Families at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. ARC is an organization headquartered in Louisa, Kentucky that serves adults with a broad range of substance abuse disorders. The program model combines substance use disorder recovery services with workforce development. The evaluation is using a randomized controlled trial to understand how access to ARC services affects outcomes related to employment, earnings, recovery, and housing. Individuals eligible for and interested in receiving ARC services are assigned at random to a treatment group, who is offered employment services, treatment for substance use disorders, substance-free housing, and case management services, or to a control group, who are referred to outpatient treatment either at ARC or elsewhere and have access to other employment and education services in the community. The goal is to enroll 800 individuals in the study. Outcomes will be measured over an 18-month follow-up period. The main outcomes to be measured are total earnings during the follow-up period, number of quarters employed during the follow-up period, a composite score for alcohol and drug use, and stability of housing during the follow-up period.
External Link(s)
Registration Citation
Citation
Martinson, Karin and Charles Michalopoulos. 2020. "Building Evidence on Employment Strategies for Low-Income Families (BEES): ARC (KY)." AEA RCT Registry. July 17. https://doi.org/10.1257/rct.6163-1.0.
Sponsors & Partners

There are documents in this trial unavailable to the public. Use the button below to request access to this information.

Request Information
Experimental Details
Interventions
Intervention(s)
There is only one treatment group in this study. Individuals eligible for and interested in receiving ARC services are assigned at random to a treatment group, who is offered employment services, treatment for substance use disorders, substance-free housing, and case management services, or to a control group, who are referred to outpatient treatment either at ARC or elsewhere and have access to other employment and education services in the community.
Intervention Start Date
2020-03-11
Intervention End Date
2021-09-30
Primary Outcomes
Primary Outcomes (end points)
The confirmatory outcomes are total earnings during the follow-up period, number of quarters employed during the follow-up period, relapse (recurrence of substance use), a composite score for alcohol and drug use (the Addiction Severity Index), and stability of housing during the follow-up period.
Primary Outcomes (explanation)
Employment outcomes will be constructed using administrative records from the National Directory of New Hires and data collected through a follow-up survey administered to study participants. Outcomes related to substance use recovery and housing will be based on data from the follow-up survey. data from administrative records
Secondary Outcomes
Secondary Outcomes (end points)
Exploratory outcome variables include quarterly employment rates, quarterly earnings, employment at the end of the follow-up period, and outcomes related to criminal justice involvement, public benefit receipt, and use of health care services.
Secondary Outcomes (explanation)
Employment outcomes will be constructed using administrative records from the National Directory of New Hires and data collected through a follow-up survey administered to study participants. Outcomes related to substance use recovery and housing will be based on data from the follow-up survey. Outcomes related to criminal justice involvement, public benefit receipt, and use of health care services will be constructed using data from administrative records.
Experimental Design
Experimental Design
The study includes one treatment group and one control group. The treatment group is offered employment services, sober housing, substance use treatment, and case management services through ARC. The control group is not offered housing or employment services through ARC and is referred to outpatient treatment for substance use disorders from ARC or another provider.

Experimental Design Details
Not available
Randomization Method
Randomization is done by a web-based MDRC system, and is accessed electronically by ARC program staff.
Randomization Unit
Individual
Was the treatment clustered?
No
Experiment Characteristics
Sample size: planned number of clusters
800 individuals.
Sample size: planned number of observations
800 individuals.
Sample size (or number of clusters) by treatment arms
Individuals will have a 60 percent chance of being randomly assigned to the treatment group and a 40 percent chance of being randomly assigned to the control group; this amounts to approximately 480 sample members in the treatment group and 320 sample members in the control group.
Minimum detectable effect size for main outcomes (accounting for sample design and clustering)
Expressed as an effect size, the study would be positioned to detect an impact of 0.17 standard deviations using administrative records data and 0.19 standard deviations using data from the 18-month survey. For employment outcomes, the study would be positioned to detect an increase of 0.2 quarters on number of quarters employed and an impact on annual earnings of just over $600. From the 18-month survey data, the study would be positioned to detect an increase in full-time employment of 5.4 percentage points, and an increase in abstention from substance use of 8.1 percentage points.
IRB
INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARDS (IRBs)
IRB Name
MDRC
IRB Approval Date
2020-02-25
IRB Approval Number
1530059