Sample size (or number of clusters) by treatment arms
Equal size treatment arms across the main two groups:
- No outreach, no encouragement (control): 22,500
- Encouragement, no outreach to teachers: 22,500
- Outreach to teachers, no encouragement: 22,500
- Outreach to teachers, encouragement: 22,500
Within the encouragement treatment arm (45,000 treated), we will randomly assign students to the three types of information if their household has access to a smartphone and cable television. We do not know in advance what this sample size will be, but the treatment assignment will be distributed evenly (1/3, 1/3, 1/3) for that group. If 80% of households have access to a smartphone and cable television (36,000), then the sample size for treatment arms 2a, 2b, and 2c will be 12,000 each.
Data package reduction: The exact sample size of the data reduction package treatment arm will depend on budgetary constraints, but the randomization strategy is the following:
- Take the sample of 45,000 assigned to encouragement treatment
- Restrict to those who have access to a smart phone and are subscribers of our telecom partner
- Exclude treatment 2a (information about TV only)
- Among those, randomly select X to receive the data package subsidy, and the remainder will not receive the subsidy.
Most outcomes will be collected by IVR for the full sample. Outcomes requiring in-person phone survey (such as expectations, aspirations, and mental health outcomes) will be only collected for a subsample of individuals (around 10,000).