TRAINING AND PROVISION OF MATERIALS
• Slaughterhouse workers at facilities assigned to Treatment 1 and Treatment 2 will be trained on hygiene practices by sub-county veterinarians. Butchers (slaughterhouse customers) will also be invited to the training, but will not be given incentives to attend. Training will include introduction to the incentive scheme given at the end, for facilities assigned to Treatment 2.
• At the training, the following equipment will be provided: handwashing station, soap and nail brush (to manager); cleaning buckets, brushes, detergent, and broom (to manager); supply of water treatment solution (to manager); gumboots: for all workers (to workers); aprons (to all workers)
• For all facilities in Treatment 1 and Treatment 2, the meat inspector responsible for the facility will be asked to fill out a hygiene monitoring form once per week, during one of their daily inspection visits. Inspectors will receive a payment of 300 KSH per form submitted.
• Workers in facilities assigned to Treatment 3 will receive a weekly incentive payment if hygiene practices at their facility meet the required threshold, according to the form submitted by the meat inspector.
• Incentive payments will be 50 KSH times the number of days the facility is normally open according to baseline data. Payments will be sent via MPesa and Airtel Money.
• Incentive payments will continue for 12 weeks after training.