Secondary Outcomes (explanation)
The question on whether respondents would like to receive further information about professional development (information acquisition) is worded as follows:
“Would you like to receive more information about professional development opportunities, funding, and providers in Germany?
If you indicate "yes", more information will be shown at the end of the survey.”
Respondents who answer “yes” will be provided with information about professional development possibilities and funding at the end of the survey.
The question on the assessment of the need for professional development for specific groups of people in the future is worded as follows:
“What do you think, will the need for professional development for the following
groups of people increase, decrease, or remain unchanged in the future?
- For all employees in Germany
- For people who do the same job as me”
Answers for the two groups can be given on a 5-point scale labelled “strongly increase” “rather increase” “remain roughly unchanged” “rather decrease” “strongly decrease”.
The question on respondents’ support for the statement that everyone who is affected by structural change is required to participate in professional development is worded as follows:
“In the course of one’s professional life, every person whose job is affected by structural change and digitalization should be required to participate in professional development. “
Answers to this question can be given on a 5-point scale labelled “I strongly agree”, “I rather agree”, “I rather disagree”, “I strongly disagree”, “neither”.
The question on eliciting reasons for (not) participating in professional development is worded as follows:
“To what extent do you agree with the following statements? [order of items randomized]
- I cannot afford to participate in professional development.
- I do not have time for professional development (e.g. because of caring for relatives, childcare, etc.).
- My employer offers me the opportunity to participate in professional development.
- I do not wish to participate in any professional development that is sponsored by the Federal Employment Agency.
- I am unsure whether professional development will pay off for me.
- I see a great need to participate in professional development.
- I am well equipped for my future career.
- Vocational training is a good way to keep pace with structural change.”